Indianapolis Porcelain Crowns
A tooth that is badly worn down or cracked and at risk for breaking needs to be protected. Porcelain crowns (sometimes referred to as “caps”) protect teeth from further damage. Dr. Eric Hein provides beautiful porcelain crowns that look like your natural teeth.
Originally, all dental crowns were fused to a metal foundation. While the crowns protect your teeth, the metal foundation causes teeth to look opaque and unnatural. Now that all-porcelain crowns are available, how do the two types of crowns compare?
All-Porcelain Crowns vs. Porcelain-Fused-to-Metal Crowns
- There is translucency in all-porcelain crowns, so they look like natural teeth.
- A crown that is completely made of porcelain is not as strong as one that is fused to metal, so it must be bonded to the teeth. Bonding requires special techniques, for which a cosmetic dentist has received training.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are easier to place.
- When a crown is fused to metal, a dark line eventually appears at the gumline.
- Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns are often used on the back teeth, because they can sustain the force of biting and chewing. But newer crowns, such as those with a zirconia framework, are strong enough to be used on molar teeth.
- Receiving all-porcelain crowns from a cosmetic dentist is more expensive than receiving fused-to-metal-crowns from a general dentist.
The pictures below are an example of a patient who initially received porcelain crowns that were fused to metal and who later had them replaced with crowns that are all porcelain. The all-porcelain crowns look like beautiful natural teeth.
Dr. Hein has the experience, training, and artistry required to give you all-porcelain crowns that are beautiful and natural looking. There are various types of crowns that are available, and he will be able to determine what’s best for your case.
If you live in Indianapolis and would like to find out if this treatment is right for you, contact our office at 317-849-3444 to request a complimentary consultation, where you will have time to ask Dr. Hein questions and discuss your options.
You may also request an appointment online, and one of our staff members will contact you to schedule a time.
Areas We Serve: Indianapolis, Carmel & Fisher